A few weeks ago a discussion with a friend prompted me to try to write down some brief practical guidance for achieving Order from Chaos. The resulting Practical approaches to Order from Chaos summarises into the following steps:
- Be clear about what specific categories of stuff you want to deal with.
- Figure out why you want to keep each category.
- Take the opportunity to reassess what you really want to keep/collect going forward.
- Decide where the best place is to store each category.
- Be clear about the specific space you are going to use for storage.
- Decide how you will set out, equip and organise the storage space.
- Do a quick sort of each category into sub-categories.
- As you do the quick sort, set aside the stuff you want to throw away or dispose of.
- Decide exactly how you will store each sub-category.
- Go through each sub-category in detail, organising as required.
- Set up the storage space/containers/equipment and store the sorted sub-categories.
Should anyone try to apply these suggestions, I’d be interested to hear how you got on.